Wednesday 14 April 2010

Polish-Russian salad recipe

Food is like love to me - when I am happy and content, I express it with cooking and I enjoy every bite I eat. However, when I feel heartbroken and sad like now Jamie has gone, I view food almost with suspicion. It's not food's fault, of course, the way I am feeling now, and one day I am sure to realize this and food will coax its way back into my life, just like it always does. For now, though, I am not really eating. It's hard to blog too, but just then, as I was watching "Julie and Julia", for one short moment, I felt of pang of hope. So, I have paused the film and decided to tell you about the Polish-Russian salad we have on every special occasion at my parents' house, and we also had this Easter...


It's a bit of a tradition now, that my mum boils and peels all the vegetables and eggs before my arrival, and then I come home and chop everything very finely, add lots of mayo and smother the surface with more mayo,  before decorating it with slices of anything that we have lying around




Ingredients

2 hard boiled eggs
Boiled parsnip
2 boiled carrots
Boiled celery root
Fresh leek
Drained tin of peas
3-4 gherkins
Jar of mayo
Teaspoon mustard
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
Stuff for decorating (e.g. parsley)


No comments:

Post a Comment