Monday 11 March 2013

Another bento lunch: falafel, couscous and roast veg

I've been a bit slack with blogging recently. There's a lot going on in my life right now, a kind of transition time I guess and I'm in the middle of figuring out my priorities and new routines. I have a few things that I would like to tell you about, but I will start with a bento I made as this course came to a close
The falafel were dead simple to make: mince the chickpeas with some cumin, lemon juice and a red onion, add an egg and a bit of plain flour, make into little balls and fry on all sides. The roast vegetables are a combination of parsnips, carrots, sweet potato, red onions and courgette (zucchini), roasted with grape seed oil, thyme and salt and pepper. The couscous I made with just water, and just added a bit of butter at the end (took all of 5min). Those massive things at the top are the biggest caper berries I've ever seen. As part of the last bit of homework for the Bento 101 course I needed to choose something to stash in the cupboard, fridge and freezer for future bento making. For some reason, I found this part of the course really hard (some kind of strange commitment issues perhaps). Finally, I chose caper berries for the cupboard, mini peppers for the fridge and froze some of those falafels up there

Ingredients - falafel balls (makes about 10)

2 tins of chickpeas
1 red onion
1 egg
1 tablespoon plain flour
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Grapeseed oil for frying
Salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment