Tuesday 21 February 2012

Slightly avant-garde pancakes - chocolate and banana, dairy-free

You may be wondering what exactly is so avant-garde about chocolate and banana pancakes. Well, it depends on how you use the banana. I didn't mean to make that sound perverted in any way, so I hope that's not how you're reading it. Today, I messed with the very make-up of the pancake, and this, I would argue, is the avant-garde bit. If you want to imagine me wearing the banana skin as a hat while cooking, then that's OK too
When we think of pancakes flour, eggs and milk are the first things that come to mind. But what would happen if you replaced the eggs with something else that's sticky? Like a banana... Well, nothing bad actually. The pancake is a little heavier, a different consistency, but coupled with this pure coco grated on top, it's a glorious combination
The coco is 100% pure, therefore I sweetened the pancake mixture with a bit of honey. I essentially made a soya milk banana milkshake, then whisked it into the flour. I fried the batter with olive oil rather than butter, simply because I ran out of butter, but I guess this makes these pancakes super-healthy as well as delicious
Ingredients

Cup of plain flour - 200g aprox
Cup of soya milk
1 banana
1 Tblsp honey
Pinch of salt
Pure coco for grating
Light olive oil for frying (or butter)

2 comments:

  1. I love using Willie's Cacao! I think its a great idea putting something different into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the gamble worked out. I actually want to make them again tonight now, looking at them!

    ReplyDelete